17 – Townhouse 19, Mariánske námestie Turistická informačná tabuľka č. 17 s QR kódom na meštianskom dome č. 19 na Mariánskom námestí
(Foto: 25. 6. 2008)
Its first known owner was Ondre Trtoll in 1574. Further owners were in 1595 Ján Sotňa,1615 Matej Sotňa, 1662 Juraj Sotňa. The house was called “Sotňovský”; in 1666 it was owned by Eliaš Urbanovič. From 1693 it was owned by Ondrej Bivolíni, but in 1718 Michal Zlínsky obtained it from him. In 1748 his daughter Katarína inherited it, her married name being Šimovičová. She exchanged it in the same year with Daniel Pfanschmidt who paid her an extra 300 florins for the house. This important Žilina family of squires, which included the mayor Daniel (1734 – 1744), owned several houses in the centre of the town. The widow of Imrich Pfanschmidt then sold the house in 1759 to Filip Klimeš for 900 florins. At the end of the century, in 1790, his descendants sold the house to Štefan Kadurík for 1,250 florins. In 1837 Kadurík’s daughter Zuzana inherited the house, who was then already married to Štefan Šimko. The house was then purchased in 1864 by Móric Engel, but belonged to his widow from 1881. In 1886, Mária Marmorstein bought the house for 900 florins, and from 1900 it belonged to her son Armin. He sold this part of the house in 1912 for 3,850 crowns to the well-known lawyer and to the president of the Jewish Community in Žilina, Alexander Márton and Jolana Marmorstein. Until 1958 the building was owned by several families: the Mártons, Pfeifers and Marmorsteins. After nationalisation, it was taken over by the Czechoslovak state.
It is the first corner house on the western side of the square. Its front façade looks on to St Mary’s square, the side façade on to Kalinčiaková street and the rear one on to Jezuitská street. The two-storey building divided into four segments with arched arcades on the ground floor is a hall-type house with a straight staircase coming out into the upper vestibule. The well-preserved Renaissance and Baroque vaults, the preserved wooden beam ceiling in the front room say much for the good maintenance of the house by its original owners. The basement of the building can perhaps be considered Gothic; it was originally built of quarry stone of varying sizes, partially lined up. The basement masonry is covered with a new lime and cement plaster. The ground is from the Renaissance period, from the sixteenth or seventeenth century. Access is from the rear courtyard façade, but originally it was accessible from the arcades. The ground floor is divided into three parts; in the first there is a vaulted arcade with one bay of cross rib vaults and one bay of Prussian vaults. In the right-hand part of the interior, there is a barrel vault with irregularly placed lunettes. The first floor has vaulted rooms with a barrel vault with lunettes, and was connected to the neighbouring building, house number 20. The building’s first stage of development dating from the fourteenth or fifteenth century is preserved in its basement. During the second development phase, an early Renaissance ground floor and first floor were built. In the seventeenth century, the building was reconstructed and arcades were built, and most of the space was covered with barrel vaults with lunettes. In the fourth stage of development dating from the eighteenth century, the building’s façade was rebuilt. It was given a Baroque-Classicist appearance which it still has today. At that time, the building already had a gable, and the carved beam ceiling in both halls have been preserved in the interior of the first floor. In the twentieth century, the arcade space was built up to provide commercial space. In 1963, the house was added to the Central List of Heritage Monuments under the reference KP no. 1409/0. The building was completely renovated in 1982, together with its original roofing: copper plate. Architect Milan Stanek was behind the project. At that time, they also demolished the older building in the courtyard, which was in a desolate state. The Regional Heritage Office in Žilina has its headquarters here, and there is a small shop on the ground floor.
Source: Mgr. Jozef Moravčík, Mgr. Peter Štanský.
Text prevzatý z webovej stránky TIK Žilina (kliknite): www.tikzilina.eu